[h-e-w] M-TAB and C-M-i

From: Wojciech Komornicki
Subject: [h-e-w] M-TAB and C-M-i
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:50:58 -0500

>>>>> "Kai" == Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

  Kai:> I like to use M-TAB in Emacs, but Alt-Tab in Windows doesn't do what
  Kai:> I like...  What do people do instead?

  Kai:> I thought I might like to try C-M-i instead, but that combo never
  Kai:> arrives in Emacs: I hit x, then C-M-i, then y, then view-lossage
  Kai:> shows nothing between x and y.

  Kai:> I've already moved the escape key to be to the left of 1, and now
  Kai:> it's much easier to hit ESC TAB.  But it's still a poor substitute
  Kai:> for the real thing.

Look at
    w32-register-hot-key is a built-in function.
    (w32-register-hot-key KEY)

    Register KEY as a hot-key combination.
    Certain key combinations like Alt-Tab are reserved for system use on
    Windows, and therefore are normally intercepted by the system.  However,
    most of these key combinations can be received by registering them as
    hot-keys, overriding their special meaning.

    KEY must be a one element key definition in vector form that would be
    acceptable to `define-key' (e.g. [A-tab] for Alt-Tab).  The meta
    modifier is interpreted as Alt if `w32-alt-is-meta' is t, and hyper
    is always interpreted as the Windows modifier keys.

    The return value is the hotkey-id if registered, otherwise nil.
I have
      (w32-register-hot-key [A-tab])
in my .emacs file and then Alt-TAB is seen by emacs instead of being
captured by Windows.  Of course that means that the Windows behaviour of
Alt-TAB is not seen when emacs has the focus.

--
Wojciech Komornicki                                      Dept of Mathematics
wnk at hamline.edu                                        Hamline University

It's not enough to know the world is absurd and restrict yourself merely to
pointing out that fact.... It is wrong to expect a reward for your struggles.
The reward is the act of struggle itself, not what you win.  Even though you
can't expect to defeat the absurdity of the world, you must make the attempt.
That's morality, that's religion, that's art, that's life.

                                                                    Phil Ochs