RE: [h-e-w] gnuserv problem

From: Eli Daniel
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] gnuserv problem
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:48:05 -0400

What gnuserv package are you using?  The latest and greatest thats linked from the FAQ has some problems (or more precisely, it appears that theres a bug in Windows 2000 exposed by this gnuserv).  Some people see the problem, some dont it seems to depend on exactly what patch level of Windows 2000 you have.  I dont remember exactly what the symptoms were, but it sounds similar to what youre reporting.

I found two workarounds:

1 - Totally ridiculous: After starting Emacs, launch a debugger (I used VC++) and attach it to the gnuserv process.  You dont actually have to do anything with the debugger just having gnuserv running in the debugger made it work.

2 - Less ridiculous: use an old version of gnuserv/gnuclient that uses mailslots for its interprocess communication instead of sockets.  You should be able to find this with google.

-Eli