Re: [h-e-w] RF help using sort-numeric-fields

From: Peter Lee
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] RF help using sort-numeric-fields
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:09:39 -0500

    Charles> To enter the field number, C-U, enter the field number of
    Charles> the field you want to sort on. Posative number to coult
    Charles> from the left, negative to count from the right.
    Charles> Then M-X sort-numeric-fields.
    Charles> Try sorting this on field 2:
    Charles> aaaa 1234 ggggg bbbb 456 gggg gggg 3456 hhhhh

Anyone know of a way to force the sorting to occur only within the
field selected ?  ie. with the following region selected:

a 789 blah
b 456 blha
c 123 bleh

C-u 2 M-x sort-field-only

would give

a 123 blah
b 456 blha
c 789 bleh

Anyone know of a package that does this?  Or perhaps I'm missing
something that emacs already does.

Even better would be a way to sort based on a rectangle.

A sort-rectangle function would be ideal for me.