Re: [h-e-w] Paste Chinese GB2312 under Emacs 21.2 in Japanese Windows200

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Paste Chinese GB2312 under Emacs 21.2 in Japanese Windows2000
Date: 24 Jun 2003 17:19:28 +0100

"Li" <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear all
>     I use Emacs 21.2 in Japanese windows2000.
>     Now, I can paste Japanese Words(JIS coding) from IE to a Emacs buffer.
> The display is no problem.
>     But I can not paste Chinese GB2312 coding from IE to a Emacs buffer
> though I set the selection-coding-system to Chinese-iso-8bit

To paste chinese-iso-8bit, you would need to get IE to put data on
the clipboard in chinese-iso-8bit. The only way to do this is to
change your system locale to Chinese(PRC). If your locale is
Japanese, then IE will put data on the clipboard in Shift-JIS. It may
also put a copy in Unicode but Emacs is not yet able to utilise that,
as it only uses the standard method for transfering text on the clipboard.

> And in Emacs, there is no the codepage 936 for Chinese GB2312.

Codepage 936 is GB2312 (chinese-iso-8bit)