[h-e-w] I found a way to list the c:/ directory

From: Chris McMahan
Subject: [h-e-w] I found a way to list the c:/ directory
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 17:52:51 -0400

For some time I've had an issue with dired and c:/ directory.

Whenever I use an external ls program the c:/ directory would bug out
because the cygwin ls program inserted the following error message in
the directory listing

ls: c:/pagefile.sys: No such file or directory

which caused dired to choke.

So in order to view the c:/ directory, I've been forced to use
ls-lisp. It's an excellent program, and I like the feature that places
the directories first, but it has always listed the file attributes
incorrectly.

I was perusing the info files, and came across the following snipet
under dired-X:

*************************************
Local Variables for Dired Directories
*************************************

When Dired visits a directory, it looks for a file whose name is the
value of variable `dired-local-variables-file' (default: `.dired').  If
such a file is found, Dired will temporarily insert it into the Dired
buffer and run `hack-local-variables'.
<snip> ...

WELL!!!

I create a file c:/.dired and entered the following:

  Local Variables:
  ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program: nil
  ls-lisp-dirs-first: nil
  End:

and now the external ls program is disabled only for the c:/
directory, and every is working again!!

Thought I would put this out to contribute to the group that has
helped me so much with Emacs!!

- Chris

--
    Chris McMahan | address@hidden