RE: [h-e-w] File size anomoly

From: Robert Praetorius
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] File size anomoly
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 17:01:00 -0400

> Actually, I think all we really need is a project to provide a
> look-alike replacement for notepad.exe that is willing to display
> files without CRLF (but just LF) "correctly".

     Dragging this back in the original direction. . .I'd just like to
state (semi-)succinctly for the archive (and for those who've been lucky
enough not to have been dragged through this) that this can bite when:

        some file server living in newlineland (e.g., Linux) has
        a client in CRLFland (e.g., NT) and one or both ends
        conspire to helpfully translate the newlines into CRLFs

        BUT the same file server reports the length of the file
        containing newlines (rather than the length of the
        translated version it sent containing CRLFs)

        AND some program reads the file based on the reported file
        length rather the reading until EOF.

If I've got it right, this is the (unstated in this latest few exchanges)
background behind this thread (other scenarios may well be possible, this
one came immediately to mind).

     Interesting historical note (for those not as ancient as I am): the
original (TECO-based) Emacs expected (and doled out) CRLFs as a line
ending/separator.