[h-e-w] Re: How to tell (windows) emacs which ftp.exe, ediff.exe, grep.e

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: How to tell (windows) emacs which ftp.exe, ediff.exe, grep.exe... files to use
Date: 02 Mar 2003 23:50:33 -0800

On 02 Mar 2003, address@hidden wrote:
> Galen Boyer wrote:
>> address@hidden wrote:
>
>> > Good afternoon, Would someone know and could please tell me, how to
>> > tell emacs where to find the ftp.exe, ediff.exe, grep.exe
>> > executables it needs to use to access remote files, execute diffs
>> > or grep commands?
>
>> Do you understand the concept of an OS path, but you would like to
>> know how to do this exclusively in Emacs, or do you not understand
>> PATH and really just want that this is enabled?  (The explanation for
>> these two would be different)
>
> Funny you should ask that question, I've never understood how to
> inherit the PATH environment variable from windows.

Okay, I never actually used Emacs with both window's and Emacs knowledge
of PATH merged, but I figured one could.  I played around for a short
bit and then submitted my lightly tested answer to the wiki.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EmacsAndOperatingSystemPathMerged

With the c:/cygwin/bin PATH absent in the Window's PATH I start Emacs.
I then do `C-x h M-| wc'  Nothing.  I then eval the settings on this url
and I get a count of lines.  I think this means it works.
--
Galen deForest Boyer