[h-e-w] More Cygwin-Emacs trouble (was: How to tell (windows) emacs whic

From: Guy Worthington
Subject: [h-e-w] More Cygwin-Emacs trouble (was: How to tell (windows) emacs which ftp.exe, ediff.exe, grep.exe ...
Date: 03 Mar 2003 12:42:26 +0800

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:57:56AM +0000, David Starks-Browning wrote:
> On  2 Mar 03, Guy Worthington writes:

> > ... I've never understood how to inherit the PATH environment
> > variable from windows.

> If you are happy with the same PATH in Cygwin and NT Emacs -- and you
> don't want to use the Cygwin port of GNU Emacs -- then another
> approach is to invoke "runemacs" from the Cygwin bash shell.  If you
> have taken care with your PATH in Cygwin, it will work for NT Emacs,
> and it will automatically be inherited and used by NT Emacs.  So you
> don't need to do anything special in .emacs.

That works nicely.

Infact that works so nicely, I'm hoping you may be able to help me
another minor irritation.

Here's the history:

Within emacs I've set bash as my shell.  Using the advice in your FAQ.

This has the side effect that from within emacs, when I execute
   M-x shell
I get symbols that look like: [17;18 embedded into the screen output.

After a bit of research, I found that I can remove these symbols by
using a .emacs_bash resource file.  This is posted below:

-----

case "$EMACS" in
t) export TERM=gnuemacs
   export PS1="\$ "
   export PS2="> "
   alias ll="ls -Fl"
   alias lc="ls -F"
   alias grep="grep -i"
esac

-----

Now the ^[[*&^%$# symbols have gone but, when I start a bash session using
M-x shell I get rubbish at startup:

]0; guyw :: Home (c:/Documents and Settings/guyw/Local Settings/Home)11> >

Is there any way to suppress this rubbish (it's only at startup).