[h-e-w] How to tell (windows) emacs which ftp.exe, ediff.exe, grep.exe..

From: Wojciech Komornicki
Subject: [h-e-w] How to tell (windows) emacs which ftp.exe, ediff.exe, grep.exe... files to use
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 11:19:58 -0600

>>>>> "Alexandre" == Alexandre Dolique <address@hidden> writes:

  Alexandre:> Good afternoon,
  Alexandre:>
  Alexandre:> Would someone know and could please tell me, how to tell emacs
where to find
  Alexandre:> the ftp.exe, ediff.exe, grep.exe executables it needs to use to
access
  Alexandre:> remote files, execute diffs or grep commands?

  Alexandre:>
  Alexandre:> I have all these executables on my PC either in the
  Alexandre:> directory C:\Program Files\emacs-20.7\bin
  Alexandre:> or in C:\cygwin\bin.
  Alexandre:>
  Alexandre:> Is there an emacs variable I need to set in my .emacs file?

  Alexandre:>

You can either set the path environment variable so that the directory
containing these programs comes first or you can set the variables
     ftp-program
     grep-command
etc to point to the right program.  For example, I have the following
      grep-command's value is
      "c:\\emacs\\bin\\grep -n "

      Documentation:
      The default grep command for M-x grep.
      The default value of this variable is set up by `grep-compute-defaults';
      call that function before using this variable in your program.

      You can customize this variable.

      Defined in `compile'.

--
Wojciech Komornicki                                      Dept of Mathematics
address@hidden                                     Hamline University