Re: [h-e-w] Re: connection from ntemacs to COM

From: Syver Enstad
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: connection from ntemacs to COM
Date: 10 Dec 2002 13:28:23 +0100

"Richard M. Heiberger" <address@hidden> writes:

> Thank you all for the comments.  Syver Enstad's response as to why
> we need COM access is pretty close to mine.

> I don't want to become an expert at
> Windows internals.  I probably don't want to be an expert in Perl.  I am very
> good> at elisp, which I am sure is powerful enough to do the communications
> task with COM if the right primitives are made available.  My request is
> for a knowledgeable Windows expert to write a wrapper around COM so I can
> access it directly from emacs lisp.

Hi Richard. I think your needs could be satisfied with Pymacs (tell me
if I am wrong). Pymacs let's you load a python module much the same
way that you would load an elisp module. Pymacs automatically let's
you call all the functions in the python module with elisp.

So if someone were to write a little compatibility layer between
win32com (the python package that lets you do com stuff) and elisp you
could have what you want without having to implement COM support at
the C layer in emacs, and without you needing to know anything about
python nor windows internals.

If you would give me one simple case of what you want to accomplish
with a com object through emacs I can have a look at it. I won't
promise to make anything complete but I could at least try to take you
some of the way.

The biggest hurdle I can come up with as of this writing is that
win32com uses objects while elisp is procedural, maybe we could use
EIEIO to solve that.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad