RE: [h-e-w] Re: connection from ntemacs to COM

From: Dalton, Barnaby
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Re: connection from ntemacs to COM
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:13:49 -0000

> In terms that ed grissom suggested, I guess I want "Emacs to
> be a IDispatch
> driver for generic COM objects."  I don't want to become an
> expert at Windows
> internals.  I probably don't want to be an expert in Perl.  I
> am very good
> at elisp, which I am sure is powerful enough to do the
> communications task
> with COM if the right primitives are made available.  My
> request is for
> a knowledgeable Windows expert to write a wrapper around COM
> so I can access
> it directly from emacs lisp.

Are you talking about an equivalent of perl's win32::OLE module for emacs
lisp?
(http://search.cpan.org/dist/Win32-OLE/lib/Win32/OLE.pm). If so I wonder how
hard it
would be to convert it to be elisp friendly. Does emacs let you dynamically
load dlls or would it need to be started as a separate process?

It seems like Reini Urban was/is doing some work on COM support
(http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/lsp_tools/ntemacs.html - w32ole link)
but I think this is for XEmacs not Emacs.

Barney

address@hidden

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses known at the time of sending.

www.radioscape.com