Re: [h-e-w] Re: connection from ntemacs to COM

From: Syver Enstad
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: connection from ntemacs to COM
Date: 09 Dec 2002 11:44:37 +0100

Galen Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, address@hidden wrote:
> > This is my annual appeal.  Has anyone written a general connection
> > from ntemacs to com, comparable to the ddeclient for dde?
> > The inability of emacs to interact smoothly with the windows
> standard
>
> > interprocess communication protocol is a severe limitation.
>
> Just curious.  In what way/s?
>
> I have been quite happy with Emacs as my environment, but I'm not a
> com
>
> developer.

I do not pretend that I can answer for the original poster. But here
are my reasons why Emacs should do COM on windows. Emacs is heavily
geared towards the original *nix component technology which is pipes
and filters text programs. This works great as long as the
functionality is exposed in that way. Windows has not gone for that
strategy so that many of its services are not available via text based
means (text based programs and / or text files). Very many things are
instead exposed as COM objects, which means that when Emacs can't do
COM on windows it is easy a less powerful tool for windows users than
it could have been.

Now since we have powerful tools like Perl and Python that makes it
easy to connect to COM and to make text tools, it's a matter of
bridging the gap, but it's still a gap.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad