Re: [h-e-w] connection from ntemacs to COM

From: Syver Enstad
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] connection from ntemacs to COM
Date: 08 Dec 2002 07:10:42 +0100

"Richard M. Heiberger" <address@hidden> writes:

> This is my annual appeal.  Has anyone written a general connection
> from ntemacs to com, comparable to the ddeclient for dde?
> The inability of emacs to interact smoothly with the windows standard
> interprocess communication protocol is a severe limitation.
>
> Are there any Windows users, who understand the Windows internals, who
> are willing to provide this feature?

I agree it would be very useful to have full COM support in Emacs on
windows. My solution is to use Pymacs which allows you to use Python
to script emacs. Since Python has excellent COM capabilities this
makes simple use of COM very simple. The only problem is that Pymacs
is that communication has to initiated on the Emacs side. This means
that anynchrounous notifications (COM events) might be difficult to
acheive.

As I think about it COM events need not be that difficult, you only
have to set up some polling scheme that calls pymacs regularely,
pymacs then polls the COM subsystem nonblocking for events and if
present does what it needs to.

If want a more transparent way of initiating calls from Python into
Emacs I suggest you contact Francois Pinard who is the maintainer for Pymacs.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad