[h-e-w] Bash in NTEmacs

From: Fredrik Oberg
Subject: [h-e-w] Bash in NTEmacs
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:50:58 +0100

I try to set up bash as my shell in Emacs. The FAQ tells me two ways of doing
this, either by changing any of the environment variables SHELL and COMSPEC or
by adding some lines in .emacs.

The second alternative works as supposed, but I wanted to try the first
alternative too, just to see if it worked. Well, it didn't. First I set SHELL
using the properties of my machine (NT4), restart emacs and (insert (getenv
"SHELL")). Result: it points to cmdproxy.exe in emacs/bin. So I took a look in
the registry. Under LOCAL_MACHINE/SW/GNU/Emacs there is another SHELL-value,
pointing to the same cmdproxy.exe. I hoped renaming this key should do it, but
unfortunately it didn't have any affect. Does any body have any tip on this? I
know I could go with the settings in .emacs but it would be nice knowing how to
do this with environment variables.

The faq says that "Emacs will then use the value of the COMSPEC environment
variable when it starts up, unless the SHELL environment variable is explicitly
defined (as when using the emacs.bat batch file)". I have looked for that batch
file but haven't found it. Anybody know where it has gone?

Thanks in advace
Fredrik