Re: [h-e-w] Box cursor when in "insert mode"

From: Jan Dubois
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Box cursor when in "insert mode"
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:33:15 -0800

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 22:23:23 +0000, "Daniel Hegyi"
<address@hidden> wrote:

>I'd like to have the cursor become a box when I'm in "insert mode" (i.e.,

I assume you want a box in overwrite mode, and a bar in insert mode.
Otherwise you have to swap the logic in the code below.

>when I press the insert key once.) How can I do that? Currently it just
>turns yellow, I guess because I have (set-face-background 'region "yellow")
>set in my .emacs.

I use the following "hack" to do that.  It is probably not very clean, but
it works. :)

(defadvice force-mode-line-update
  (after my-cursor-type activate compile)
  "Forces box-cursor in overwrite and bar-cursor in insert mode."
  (modify-frame-parameters
   (selected-frame)
   (if overwrite-mode
       '((cursor-type . box))