[h-e-w] init file, where should it be?

From: Karklins, M
Subject: [h-e-w] init file, where should it be?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 12:46:39 -0800

Fellow Users,

I am trying to get my emacs to use the .emacs initialization file. I am
using a .bat file to invoke emacs so that is knows where it should start.
The trouble is that it appears to be ignoring the .emacs file that I have
placed in that directory.  I am checking to see if the startup file was read
by checking the value of the fill-column variable.  It remains at 70, the
default value.  I am using GNU emacs v 21.2.1 on a win2k machine.

this is "myemacs.bat"

------------------------
REM set home directory for emacs so it can write its directory
set HOME="d:\home\karkliam"
set HOMEDRIVE=d:
set HOMEPATH="d:\home"
set USER="karkliam"

REM set up the default for printing to network
REM Net use LPT1: \\prt-hbc-02\pb503080

REM invoke emacs
D:\Emacs\emacs-21.2\bin\runemacs.exe
------------------------

This is the contents of my ".emacs" file located in "d:\home\karkliam"

------------------------
;;; This is a dummy file right now -- not anymore! MK 11/8/02
(setq printer-name "//prt-hbc-02/pb503080" )  ; network printer
(setq ps-printer-name "//prt-hbc-02/pb503080")  ; Postscript network printer
(setq fill-column 80)

M. Karklins (Mat)
AC-VNAA Phantom Works, Advanced Avionics
Boeing Space and Communications
5301 Bolsa Ave MC H013-C320
Huntington Beach, Ca 92647-2099
(714) 896-1248, address@hidden