[h-e-w] compile problem with epop3mail.el on WinXP

From: address@hidden
Subject: [h-e-w] compile problem with epop3mail.el on WinXP
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 17:04:10 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to get the epop3 package (downloaded from the link in the
NT-Emacs FAQ) to work.  I'm running emacs 21.2 on a Windows XP system.

I have gotten "string.el" from the elib-1.0 distribution and placed it
in the same directory as epop3mail so that it gets loaded properly.
When I try to byte-compile epop3mail I get the following error message.

Compiling file f:/Programs/emacs-21.2/site-lisp/epop3mail.el at Wed Nov 06
16:45:57 2002
  !! error (("Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size"))

(max-specpdl-size has a value of 640)

Doubling the value of max-specpdl-size doesn't change anything.
Trying to load the file directly (without byte-compiling) produces
the same error.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

David Nichols