RE: [h-e-w] (no subject)

From: Peter Milliken
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:16:25 +1100

Sorry, bit confused here :-).

I have been compiling emacs-21.2 from source on various Windoze OS's (NT, 95, 2000, XP) using the cygwin distribution ever since 21.2 hit the streets (doesn't actually compile with the latest distribution of Cygwin i.e. gcc 3.X - so that is either a problem with the compiler or the source code of 21.2 that this latest distribution of Cygwin has uncovered). I don't use the mingw32 build of make (that I know of :-)), I believe I probably have the mingwin libraries/api since that is called for in 21.2's install/build instructions, but I can't remember.

What is generated is in no way (that I can tell) different from that generated when building with M$ C++ compiler. So I am confused as to what this thread is all about. Whether it (the generated Emacs) uses cygwin paths or not doesn't/hasn't affected my use of Emacs 21.2 i.e. I can call external routines such as Ispell, Python, CVS etc without any path inconsistencies/problems. I print quite happily. I have used ange-ftp to access files on VMS boxes etc etc  To all intents and purposes, it is the same as if I had compiled it using MSCV (which I was glad to get off my box when 21.2 came out and was capable of being compiled with Cygwin! :-)).

What am I missing? :-)

Regards,
Peter