[h-e-w] cygwin/emacs display problems, was: terminal-mode cygwin/emacs p

From: Tom Roche
Subject: [h-e-w] cygwin/emacs display problems, was: terminal-mode cygwin/emacs problem
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:44:20 -0400

"Kris Thielemans" Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:04:39
> does that mean you've sorted out the terminal problem then? (I
> didn't have any problems are doing the CYGWIN and TERM stuff)

No, even after un/reinstalling, I still see

* When emacs starts up, the display is usually shifted either down a
  line or to the right a column from where it should be, with
  extraneous characters showing in either the minibuffer, or the top
  of the display (first line under windows titlebar) or both.

* After startup, the minibuffer's contents, and sometimes that of the
  window, shifts to the right. I can "move it back" via the horizontal
  scrollbar, but then I lose the first column of the minibuffer prompt
  (or of the contents of the window).

* After startup, if I change buffers, "garbage" characters from the
  previous buffer (i.e. normal 7-bit ASCII chars, just ones that don't
  belong in the current buffer) are often visible in the new one.

> note that C-h does work if you launch emacs from an xterm

Well, it took me awhile to figure out how to do this (nothing in the
FAQ or User's Guide :-<), but now I've documented it at

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CygwinizedEmacsHOWTO