Re: [h-e-w] Re: isearch-regexp-in-all-matching-files-in-tree?

From: Bill Pringlemeir
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: isearch-regexp-in-all-matching-files-in-tree?
Date: 15 Oct 2002 11:37:03 -0400

>> Dave Forrest 10/14/2002 02:37 PM
 >> Would the Operate/Query replace in marked files Q or
 >> dired-do-query-replace do what you need?

 Thomas> No, because it requires marking the matching files first, but
 Thomas> if there's a way to do that, I could (manually) chain the two
 Thomas> operations.

C-h f -> "dired-mark-files-regex"

   dired-mark-files-regexp is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
   `dired'.  (dired-mark-files-regexp REGEXP &optional MARKER-CHAR)

   Mark all files matching REGEXP for use in later commands.  A prefix
   argument means to unmark them instead.  `.' and `..' are never
   marked.

   REGEXP is an Emacs regexp, not a shell wildcard.  Thus, use `\.o$'
   for object files--just `.o' will mark more than you might think.

Emacs knows.

Bill Pringlemeir.