RE: [h-e-w] Using control keys in bash shell within emacs

From: Sprenger, Karel
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Using control keys in bash shell within emacs
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:35:36 +0200

Jeff,

Since bash (or cmd or whatever the shell program is) is run 'underneath' emacs by comint, you use emacs control keys.  To get the previous command you use M-p.  If you use bash as your shell program, shell mode will provide you with bash' history saved from previous bash sessions in ~/.bash_history.  Also note the In/Out menu which offers such nifty things as "Expand history before point" and "List input history".  The nice thing is that most (if not all) of this is standard comint stuff, so you can just as well use it when you are running sqlplus (using sql.el).

Cheers,
Karel