Re: [h-e-w] Emacs + IMAP/MS Exchange

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs + IMAP/MS Exchange
Date: 19 Aug 2002 23:17:54 -0700

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi
> I wish to be able to read and send mail using emacs, and my
> institution uses an MS Exchange server for mail. This runs smtp for
> sending mail, as well as POP3 and IMAP for delivery (as well as being
> an exchange server of course).  I want to be able to read my mail on
> my computer using emacs, but leave it on the server, so that it is
> accessible when i am away from my work PC. The options i have found to
> date are:
>
> 1) gnus. News reader. Allegedly has full IMAP4 compatibility.

I have used it and it does.  I actually don't use Gnus for my mail at
work, but it is because of Outlook.  That damn actually removes my
newlines for the reader, so my carefully crafted and well-cited message
gets munged by the client that everybody else uses it.  I do open it up
when the conversation gets long and I want to interject some thoughts.

> Learning curve steaper than barry manilows nose. Despite spending
> numerous hours trying to figure out how to use this, no success.

I struggled early with Gnus, but I highly recommend it.

Here are my server settings found in my .gnus:

    (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news-east.newscene.com"))

    (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
           '((nnimap "10.0.1.29"
                    (nnimap-authenticator login))))

    (setq mail-sources '((file :plugged t)))

    (add-to-list 'mail-sources
                 '(pop :server "pop.rcn.com" :user "galenboyer" :password
"password"))
    (add-to-list 'mail-sources
                 '(pop :server "pop.mail.yahoo.com" :user "galendboyer"
:password "password"))
    (add-to-list 'mail-sources
                 '(pop :server "pop.hotpop.com" :user "galenboyer" :password
"password"))

I think you should be able to configure for your needs, save and then
type M-x gnus.  Then follow the prompts for the password.  I also use
the .authinfo so I don't have to type in my password at the prompts.

> Yes i know this is my failing, but it seems like overkill to be
> configuring a news reader to read mail anyway.

Actually, mail and news, if thought of as the same, really are the
same.  The delivery mechanism is different, and the liberties of your
speech may be different, but they really can be treated the same, and
Gnus does a fantastic job of it.