Re: [h-e-w] Emacs IMAP/MS Exchange

From: jasonr
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs IMAP/MS Exchange
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:13:45 +0100 (BST)

> 1) gnus. News reader. Allegedly has full IMAP4 compatibility. Learning curve
> steaper than barry manilows nose. Despite spending numerous hours trying to
> figure out how to use this, no success.

1. Start Gnus ("Read Net News" from the Tools menu)
2. Choose "Browse Foreign Server" from the Misc menu (or type 'B')
3. Type "nnimap" at the "Which backend" prompt.
4. Type the address of your IMAP server at the "Address"
   prompt.
5. Enter your login details at the following
   prompts.
6. Answer 'y' to the question about storing your
   password for this session, to avoid typing it repeatedly.
7. Type 's' to subscribe to any groups you see listed.

Next time you start Gnus, you should be prompted for
your username and password, and any groups you
subscribed to will show up without following the
above steps.

Hope this helps.  The learning curve for Gnus can be
approached slowly (just as with Emacs).  There is no
need to feel daunted by the number of options available,
since you will never need all of them.

Gnus is far more powerful as a News and Mail reader than
Outlook, and in my experience, the learning curve
for the latter is just as steep, if not steeper.