[h-e-w] request mail-sources sample for pop3 using att.net over LAN

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: [h-e-w] request mail-sources sample for pop3 using att.net over LAN
Date: 14 Aug 2002 22:42:00 -0700

I got my partners Outlook Express account to work on a DSL line by
following some FAQ steps.  I'd like to have gnus have a similar
access.  I'm using gnus v5.9.0.  Here's a segment from my ~/.gnus
file.  It's worked just fine for about a year for a dial-up.

(setq mail-sources
      '(
        (pop :user     "MBalenger"
             :password "xxxx"
             :server   "postoffice.worldnet.att.net")
        (pop :user     "MichaelRunningWolf"
             :password "xxxx"
             :server   "postoffice.worldnet.att.net")
        )
      )

If you use gnus with AT&T over a LAN, could you send me a snippet of
your file so that I can copy the relevant parts?

I found out that WorldNet requires some extra steps to allow me to
access behind their firewall and to request them to send my email over
the net.  These steps are in addition to what I had to do for a
dial-up connection.  Here's a distillation of what I did.

I changed some addresses,
  incoming mail (POP3) -> ipostoffice.worldnet.att.net
  outgoing mail (SMTP) -> imailhost.worldnet.att.net

added some id/password information,
  email ID -> address@hidden
  password -> I_m_not_telling

enabled authentication,

requested a SSL connection,

and specified non-standard ports for
  SMTP -> 465
  POP3 -> 995

Egad!!!  All that just to get LAN access to email.  I'm a geek, and
I'm lost..  I'm sure I'm not the first.  The documentation for
mail-sources didn't seem to have enough options.  Ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael R. Wolf