Re: [h-e-w] Strugling to build for win2000 - ? info on the info page

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Strugling to build for win2000 - ? info on the info page
Date: 09 Aug 2002 23:57:19 -0700

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install the emacs on my win2000 machine.  So far I run
> across dead-end info on your instructions.
>
> The install info suggested that I will unzip with djtarnt.exe from the
> GNU FTP site.
>
> I couldn't find such file on your site.
>
> On the info on compiling Emacs :
>
>             To compile Emacs, you will need either Microsoft Visual
>             C++ 2.0 or later and nmake

Why are you trying to compile it?  Just get the binaries.

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/21.1/

Download the emacs-21.1-fullbin-i386.tar.gz.  Double click it, say yes,
then unzip it somewhere, then double click the runemacs.exe found in the
$UNZIPDIR/bin/.

I double clicked and used winzip and it worked just peachy.

If I'm not supposed to tell you this about having used winzip and I'm
supposed to talk about djtarnt.exe, somebody will probably chime in.