RE: [h-e-w] Default Font Size

From: Eli Daniel
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Default Font Size
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:17:37 -0400

I know this doesn't totally answer your question, but here's what I've done:

evaluate

(insert (prin1-to-string (w32-select-font)))

in the scratch buffer.  That will pop up a regular Windows font dialog box.
Pick the font and size you want in there, and it'll print out an X-style
font name string (something like
"-outline-Georgia-normal-r-normal-normal-15-90-120-120-p-*-iso8859-15").
Then, set default-frame-alist to have this desired font in it, along with
any other settings you like:

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((top . 50)
        (left . 100)
        (width . 110)
        (height . 40)
        (cursor-color . "brown4")
        (cursor-type . bar)
        (background-color . "floral white")
        (font .
"-outline-Georgia-normal-r-normal-normal-*-90-*-*-p-*-iso8859-15")
        (vertical-scroll-bars . right)))

Note that I replaced some of the fields in the font name with asterisks.
This is because the font spec lists both a point size and a pixel height for
the font -- this combination will be particular to the resolution settings
of your monitor.  If you just use one (the 90 in the example above means 9.0
points), and leave the other settings with *, that will make your setting
work better across different monitor settings.

If you don't know what font and size you want, try experimenting first.
Shift-click in your emacs window, and select a new font.  When you find one
you like, do the steps above.

HTH.

-Eli Daniel