Re: [h-e-w] PCL-CVS

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] PCL-CVS
Date: 23 Jul 2002 13:41:26 -0400

"Jeff Rancier" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all.
>
> If I run PCL-CVS -> Directory status, I get the output from running:
>
>     cvs -f status -v
>
> in a CVS buffer.  (Great alternative to command line!).  It's quite a large
> project, and there is mixed platform (OS) source modules mixed in together.
> I then mark (m) the modules that are grouped together, and type (t) to tag
> them.  What happened is that all the source modules in the buffer received
> the tag, instead of what I thought was intuitive, and that was to tag only
> the ones I had marked.  Am I using mark, incorrectly?  Or is this broken?

I would suggest that pcl-cvs is broken here; send an email to Stefan
Monnier, or to the bug report email listed in the source. It certainly
did not do what you (and I) thought it would. It should refuse to
operate if there are marks that it will ignore.

On the other hand, it is generally poor practice in CVS to tag a
subset of the files in one directory. Tags are used to checkout a
complete, consistent set of files. If you only tag a subset, do you
really have a complete, consistent set? I always tag all files in a
project.

I suggest placing each set of OS-specific files in a separate
directory, to make things clearer. And write down your tagging policy
somewhere, so the next maintainer can understand it :).

--
-- Stephe