Re: [h-e-w] c++ editing , variable name completion

From: Paul Whitfield
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] c++ editing , variable name completion
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:59:50 +0800

john ware wrote:
Hi,
Is there a mode which will perform variable name and function name completion for C++.

By this I mean, if you type in the the beginning of a variable name and hit the proper key combination then a list of all possible symbols which are valid in the scope are displayed. I know that the JDEE mode will do this for java code, but alas, I am back working with C++.

I use the command:  dabbrev-expand, while it
is not exactly what you want, I find that it does the
job pretty well.

Command dabbrev-expand

Help:

Expand previous word "dynamically".

Expands to the most recent, preceding word for which this is a prefix.
If no suitable preceding word is found, words following point are
considered.  If still no suitable word is found, then look in the
buffers accepted by the function pointed out by variable
`dabbrev-friend-buffer-function'.

Hope that helps

Regards
Paul