[h-e-w] Printing to a print server

From: Warren Crews
Subject: [h-e-w] Printing to a print server
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:52:49 -0500

The print server has an ip address on my local net. I have attempted to use
the ip address from emacs without success. Of course I may have done it
wrong. The format I tried was to set the printer to "//nnnn/p1". This also
brought about a "blue screen of death".

Jeff Rancier asks
Is it an IP printer?  Accessible via IP address and/or DNS name?

Original question
What changes are necessary to print from emacs to a network print server
with Windows 98? My .emacs file sets printer-name to "//xxx/p1" where xxx Is
the print server name. The print server and the printer are visible in the
network neighborhood. An attempt to "print-buffer" causes a fault that
requires a reboot.
The hp driver is resident on the windows machine and not on the print
server. I can print from windows applications and even from linux. I suspect
that the problem is local processing, but I don't know how to fix it. I am
using emacs 21.2.1 but the problem occurred with an earlier release as well.
Thanks.