Re: [h-e-w] File associations with gnuserv

From: Andrew Innes
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] File associations with gnuserv
Date: 17 Jul 2002 14:44:27 +0100

[resending with reg file inline to avoid virus scanner complaints]

On 04 Jun 2002 13:06:00 -0500, David Vanderschel <address@hidden> said:

> On Tuesday, June 04, "Jeff Rancier" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >I recall discussions about a .REG file associated
> >with the *View Source* option in MSIE.  You might
> >want to google on that.
>
> I found back the reference for the (supposedly)
> relevant documentation:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/browser/configuration/ClientReg/ClientRegistryLayout.asp
>
> But I still cannot make View -> Source work for me.  I
> added the key and it still calls Notepad.  There must
> be more to it.
>
> Regards,
>   David V.

David, thanks for the pointer.  A bit of investigation with regmon (from
sysinternals site) shows that the reg key from the MSDN article is
indeed correct, and it does work, but you must set the default value of
the "Editor Name" key, rather than creating a string value called
"Editor Name".

Here is a .REG file that works for me - adjust path for gnuclientw.exe
as appropriate.

AndrewI

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source
Editor\Editor Name]
@="C:\\binnt\\gnuclientw.exe"