Re: [h-e-w] emacs & shell

From: Harald . Maier . BW
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] emacs & shell
Date: 16 Jul 2002 09:48:36 +0200

Galen Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, address@hidden wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed emacs 21.2.1 on xp and cgywin and am trying to get the
> > shell feature in emacs to work.  I create a small bash file (echo HI)
> > and try to execute it from within emacs without success. Also when I
> > M-x shell it brings me to a prompt. I then type 'ls" and get:
> > c:\TEMP>ls ls 'ls' is not recognized as an internal or external
> > command, operable program or batch file.
>
> Set the PATH environmental variable to include the cygwin/bin.  At least
> thats what I do, but I remember seeing some thread where they talked
> about why thats bad.  I don't do much more than use its utilities and
> this has worked fine for me.

I do that too and I am comfortable with it. Problems with the PATH
environment occur then if you want to execute other programs with the
same name that reside too on your box. A good example for this is the
find.exe program that is delivered with the OS and cygwin. IIRC
problems occur too with MikTex.

To setup the bash correctly the best would be to setup the SHELL
environment in the control panel or you set the lisp variable
'explicit-shell-file-name'' to the sh.exe or bash.exe program. The
entry in the faq is in my opinion out of date.

Harald