[h-e-w] move file from win-emacs to vi-unix

From: Wojciech Komornicki
Subject: [h-e-w] move file from win-emacs to vi-unix
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:09:04 -0500

  Alex> Hi,
  Alex> I've written some code in emacs 21.2.1 on win xp and then move it to
  Alex> solaris.  If I view it in vi all the formatting is gone.  I use sh-mode
in
  Alex> emacs and select all and then M-x indent-region to do the formatting.

  Alex> What do I need to do to preserve the formatting?

This is probably a problem of how the tab characters are being set.  I
suggest the following
    1) Change all the tabs to spaces by
          C-x h
          M-x untabity
    2) Save the file in UNIX (binary) format (instead of the MS-DOS
       (CR-LF)) by
          C-x RET f binary

--
Wojciech Komornicki                                      Dept of Mathematics
address@hidden                                     Hamline University

It's not enough to know the world is absurd and restrict yourself merely to
pointing out that fact.... It is wrong to expect a reward for your struggles.
The reward is the act of struggle itself, not what you win.  Even though you
can't expect to defeat the absurdity of the world, you must make the attempt.
That's morality, that's religion, that's art, that's life.

                                                                    Phil Ochs