Re: [h-e-w] Displaying fonts on Windows XP

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Displaying fonts on Windows XP
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:10:48 +0100

From: "Nils Kassube" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 6:23 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] Displaying fonts on Windows XP

> After upgrading from 21.1 to "GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600)
> of 2002-03-19 on buffy" on my Windows XP system, all the fonts show
> signs of pixelation.  I suspect a lack of antialiasing. In the font
> select dialogue using Shift-Mouse1 the selected font looks fine, but
> inside Emacs it looks ugly.  Any hints to get rid of this very
> annoying problem?

What you are probably noticing is that ClearType was disabled in NTEmacs
21.2.  The background is explained in the attached email from Jason Rumney.
After noticing the change initially, I have got used to it.  Maybe a
different font would show less effect.

Francis
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [h-e-w] emacs 21.2 and ClearType Date: 04 Apr 2002 22:36:44 +0100 User-agent: Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.2
Allan Erskine <address@hidden> writes:

> has anyone noticed that emacs 21.2 doesn't use ClearType anymore on
> its default font under XP (apart from on some of the large or bold
> headings in e.g. info or the customise buffers).

The anti-aliasing on the large fonts is normal anti-aliasing, not
sub-pixel anti-aliasing.

> Emacs 21.1 works fine.

No, it doesn't.  Sometimes it draws outside the bounding-box for
the glyph, which results in a garbaged display when scrolling.  That
is why sub-pixel anti-aliasing was disabled for 21.2.  If you can find
any documentation from Microsoft about how to determine the REAL
bounding box for a glyph AFTER sub-pixel anti-aliasing is applied,
then please tell me.

--
Jason Rumney

--- End Message ---