Re: [h-e-w] How do I make Emacs use the Cygwin BASH shell with the "Esc-

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] How do I make Emacs use the Cygwin BASH shell with the "Esc-x shell"feature?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:17:26 +0100

From: "Underwood, Jonathan" <address@hidden>
To: "'Bingham, Jay'" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 12:27 AM
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] How do I make Emacs use the Cygwin BASH shell with the
"Esc-x shell"feature?

> This actually isn't the best advice, adding the cygwin bin directory to
the
> windows path is bad in too many ways to go into (it's been discussed
> before).  Look at the cygwin FAQ at www.cygwin.com for the quickest and
> simplest way to integrate cygwin bash and ntemacs.

I don't agree.  Putting Cygwin near the front of the search path might cause
problems (with programs like find), but I don't see how putting it at the
end can cause problems and I have done that for a long time.  That way,
Windows can execute most Cygwin programs, except that any Windows program
with the same name as a Cygwin program takes precedence.  (However, I don't
run bash as my shell within Emacs.)

Francis