[h-e-w] Using gnus with cygwin fetchmail/procmail

From: Peter Davis
Subject: [h-e-w] Using gnus with cygwin fetchmail/procmail
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:30:05 -0400

Is anyone using gnus with cygwin fetchmail and/or procmail? After years of trying to get gnus to fetch from two POP servers, deleting messages from one and leaving them on the other, I've given up on this. Now I'm thinking of using fetchmail instead.

However, I have a couple of questions about getting this to work:

1) Be default, fetchmail seems to leave a bunch of msg.blahblahblah files in my /var/spool/mail/pdavis directory, one message per file. Is this something gnus can read as a file or directory mail source, or do I have to get fetchmail to put all the messages into one file somehow? Anyone know what format or how to do that?

(I think fetchmail passes the messages off to procmail, and this may be what's splitting it. I have no procmail recipes set up, so I don't know why this is.)

2) I'm on Windows NT4 and 2000, running fetchmail via cygwin. XEmacs and fsf
emacs, however, are native Windows apps. Is there some way to get gnus to
run fetchmail whenever I type 'g'? I don't want to have a fetchmail daemon
running continuously. I only want fetchmail to happen when I try to get
new mail in gnus.

If anyone else is using this combination of tools, I'd love to know how to set it up for Windows.

Thanks very much,

-pd

--------
                                Peter Davis
                 Funny stuff at http://www.pfdstudio.com
                 "The artwork formerly shown as prints."
           Resources for children's writers and illustrators
                   http://www.pfdstudio.com/cwrl.html