Re: [h-e-w] Coding systems in Emacs

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Coding systems in Emacs
Date: 13 Jun 2002 19:53:58 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> I have been using NTEmacs for quite sometimes and I Emacs to use, and
> print, latin accents without problems.  Recently I switched to Emacs (21.1)
> under Unix (Solaris 2.8) and I had no luck with latin accents.  Anyone
> knows how I can get them?  Does leim needs to be installed, I have it
> installed under NT but not under Unix; under NT I did my own installation
> while under Unix I have to live with what the system's people install.

Leim does not need to be installed for Emacs to display latin
characters. It may be useful for entering some characters though,
especially if you are not using Sun keyboard with its Compose key.

Latin characters should just work, provided you have the correct
fonts installed.  But some Windows telnet clients might confuse
things, how are you connected to the Solaris machine?