Re: [h-e-w] Re: Case-sensitivity of filenames under NT, in VC

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Case-sensitivity of filenames under NT, in VC
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:09:10 +0300 (IDT)

On 12 Jun 2002, Jason Rumney wrote:

> "Richard M. Heiberger" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Is there any way emacs can always write both columns, even when W2000
> > won't do it by itself?  This would save lots of aggravation when I move
> > files between W2000 and W98 systems.
>
> Not without writing the directory entries itself, which would involve
> driver level access to the filesystem I would think.

Right.  The second column is the short (a.k.a. "DOS", a.k.a. "8+3") file
name that is invented automatically by the filesystem each time it
creates a file.  You cannot influence the way the 8+3 names are produced
(with the exception of a registry setting that controls ~NN numeric
tails), and in particular you cannot prevent Windows from upcasing the
8+3 name, since that name is for compatibility with DOS, and DOS always
records file names in the directory in UPPER case.