Re: [h-e-w] Re: Case-sensitivity of filenames under NT, in VC

From: Nat Goodspeed
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Case-sensitivity of filenames under NT, in VC
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:44:59 -0400

At 04:09 PM 6/11/02 -0400, Jeff Rancier wrote:

>[ange-ftp] transfers files in uppercase.  Until
>recently, I used CVS from the command prompt (4nt).  So now the files are in
>CVS in caps.  I renamed the file to lowercase, that didn't work.  I editted
>CVS/Entries and made that lower case, and then vc-cvs-registered() found the
>file.  Of course, that confused CVS, so a CVS UP resulted in:
>
>cvs server: Updating .
>cvs.exe update: move away ./SSP_SMKT.C; it is in the way
>C SSP_SMKT.C
>
>I'm assuming the C stands for conflict.

  Yes, C does indeed stand for conflict.
  I'm using this CVS client:

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10 `Halibut' (client)

Copyright (c) 1989-1998 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                        Jeff Polk, and other authors

on Windows 98 (case-insensitive filesystem), talking to a CVS server on
Linux (case-sensitive filesystem).  In my experience, it's a bad idea to
mess with filename case on the client side to make it diverge from what the
CVS server sees in its own repository -- quite aside from any emacs
confusion.  Even using "cvs checkout projectname" can cause trouble, if the
project is actually spelled "ProjectName" on the server.
  The problem is reparable, if you're comfortable hacking CVS control files
and/or the repository.  But it's tedious and of course somewhat dangerous
to do so.  The short advice would be:  Don't Go There in the first place.
  It "would be nice" if the CVS client knew the case-sensitivity of its own
filesystem, and could query the case-sensitivity of its server's
filesystem, and could make things Just Work (unless either end had multiple
files distinguished only by capitalization).
  Sorry for veering off-topic, but it sounds as though your problem goes
beyond emacs' treatment of this situation.