[h-e-w] Re: Case-sensitivity of filenames under NT, in VC

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Case-sensitivity of filenames under NT, in VC
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:00:54 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Jeff Rancier wrote:

> I simply did a directory list to find this out.

You mean, you typed "DIR" at the shell prompt, and it shows the files in
caps?

> I have an IBM point of sale
> system which I can't seem to get ange-ftp to work on.  So I manually ftp the
> files back and forth.  Not only does ange-ftp not work (I think the ls-al
> command is what is chokes on), but it transfers files in uppercase.  Until
> recently, I used CVS from the command prompt (4nt).  So now the files are in
> CVS in caps.

That sounds like some bug in ange-ftp, or maybe the ftp client you have
on that system.  Perhaps you could try the ftp client advertised by the
NTEmacs FAQ list.  (While you've found a work-around for the VC case, the
fact that ange-ftp copies files in uppers case might bute you elsewhere.)

> So, I changed:
>
>     (case-fold-search nil)
>
> to:
>
>     (case-fold-search t)
>
> If I was better at elisp, I'd probably somehow stick something like:
>
> (if (eq system-type 'window-nt) .....

Try this:

        (case-fold-search (not (memq system-type '(ms-dos windows-nt))))