Re: [h-e-w] Spam?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Spam?
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:08:58 -0400

At 12:27 AM 06/07/2002, David Vanderschel wrote:
Basically, it is discouraged for GNU lists.  However,
a list which plays in the Windows environment may
constitute a special case in the GNU world; so I'd be
willing to consider some debate on this topic.  To
this end, I created a poll at YahooGroups for this
issue.  To vote, go to

Interestingly, I couldn't vote in the poll without first joining the Yahoo! group. So I guess anyone can post, but only Yahoo! members can vote.

The simplified version of the question would be
"Should we change?".  Personally, I voted "No" because
of tradition and because I think it would
inconvenience some folks who occasionally post from an
address different from that at which they receive.

I post from multiple addresses, and have not had a problem with other groups. Yahoo! makes this particularly easy, since you can register multiple e-mail addresses with your Yahoo! ID.

Another argument
against it is that this list can be read on the Web at
YahooGroups (where the 'group' is called
"ntemacs-users"); and, thus, it makes sense to post
without actually being subscribed at gnu.org.

I think anyone who can read mail at a Yahoo! site (ie, has a Yahoo! ID and belongs to the list) can also post from that site.

Thanks,

-pd