[h-e-w] Reading info files

From: Jeff Rancier
Subject: [h-e-w] Reading info files
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 13:44:54 -0400

Hi All.

I'm using Windows XP, and NTEmacs 21.2.1.  I just installed Cygwin/bash, and
was trying to read the info files that come with the distribution.  When I
visit bash.info, the file is opened in text mode.  How do I kick off info?
I tried something like:

(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.info$"   . info-mode)
auto-mode-alist))

But that resulted in:

File mode specification error: (void-function info-mode)

I tried to change to Info-mode directly, but get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Info-mode-menu must be bound to an
event with parameters")
  call-interactively(Info-mode-menu)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
* call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I did browse through the FAQ and did look
at info, but nothing hit me.

TIA,
Jeff