[h-e-w] Re: Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:09:01 -0400

Surprisingly, both Win98 and WinNT created a single command prompt when I
sent multiple files from a FAT16 partition to my test batch file that
resided in SendTo.  However, under Win98, the number of files this would
work for was limited to about 4.  When I tried to send more than about four
files to the test batch file, Windows signaled an Access Denied error.  So
clearly, Win98 is quite different from NT.

Versions:
Win98 = Win98 SE v 4.10.2222 A, with active desktop.
WinNT = WinNT 4.0 SP5, no active desktop.

The computer is set up as dual boot Win98/NT, with:
C:=FAT16 (boot.  The selected files resided here.)
D:=FAT32 (Win98 system partition)
E:=NTFS (WinNT system partition)

Also, that %* trick I mentioned yesterday (for the batch file wrapper)
didn't work under Win98.  I apologize for suggesting it.  It does work for
WinNT & Win2K, though.

Another thing I dabbled with on Win2K is that I added "Edit with Emacs"
directly on the shortcut menu for all files, to eliminate all that tedious
mucking about with SendTo.  Don't try this yourself (see below), but I used
this registry file:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\Emacs]
@="&Edit with Emacs"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\Emacs\Command]
@="C:\\Emacs\\Bin\\GNUClientw.exe -q -F %1"

Emacs visited all selected files (up to 38 tested) when they were sent via
SendTo.  However, the number of files Emacs visited when using the "Edit
with Emacs" menu item was limited to 13, and one file was loaded into two
different buffers.  So this would appear to be a less desirable method of
visiting selected files.

Here's why I wrote "Don't try this yourself."  I found a thread on Google at
this URL:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&threadm=eeRLpEDO%24GA.216%4
0cppssbbsa02.microsoft.com&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26se
lm%3DeeRLpEDO%2524GA.216%2540cppssbbsa02.microsoft.com%26rnum%3D4

In the same post in which I saw the "Open with Notepad" trick (from which
"Edit with Emacs" was adopted), a second registry entry was provided that
"will keep Windows from associating extensions to programs you don't want
if/when you forget to un-check this box. This box is checked by default."  I
chose to ignore that because it's clearly a Win9x entry, and I feared that
it would hose Win2K.

I hope someone finds all this useful.  Good luck.

Message: 1