[h-e-w] A followup on the send-to discussion

From: Chris McMahan
Subject: [h-e-w] A followup on the send-to discussion
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:17:48 -0400

I looked into the usefulness of the gnuserv/gnuclient combination a
bit yesterday.

One of the annoyances I've been having (yeah... I know... get a life
:) is that I have defined MANY macros and functions in emacs for
day-to-day tasks like launching specific web pages and programs. I
also spend a lot of time in tcsh (cygwin), and have been replicating
all of these functions as aliases. A bit tedious at best ... redundant
at worst.

SO!

I came up with the following tcsh alias that uses the gnuclient to run
the emacs macros and functions from the tcsh command prompt:

alias em 'd:/emacs-pkgs/bin/gnuclientw.exe -e "(\!^)"'

This takes whatever command I type in after em, and pipes that to
emacs as an elisp command.

So to start vm, for example, I would type

[8:10] ~> em vm

and emacs would pop up with vm loaded.

It relies on a different version of gnuclientw that has incorporated
the functionality of gnudoit. You can find this version (which also
allows controlling NTEmacs from a unix machine) at:

http://www.wyrdrune.com/index.html?gnuserv.html~main

Now back to my regularly scheduled life :)

 -Chris

--
    Chris McMahan | address@hidden