Re: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...

From: John McCabe
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:26:46 +0100

Results as follows...

File testing.out:

file1=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAK.
file2=C:\AUTOEXEC.AII.
file3=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT.
file4=C:\AUTOEXEC.BIT.
file5=C:\AUTOEXEC.DOS.
file6=.
file7=.

Presumably a single instance has been executed as multiple instances would
result in only file1 being complete.

For the record, running runemacs from the command line with multiple file
arguments results in a single instance being created. Also, putting "%1" or
"%1 %2" in the target field of the shortcut in the SendTo folder makes no
difference.

> I'd guess it has nothing to do with Emacs.  Try putting this simple batch
> file into SendTo and using it:

> rem This is invoked SendTo.
> rem
> echo file1=%1.>testing.out
> echo file2=%2.>>testing.out
> echo file3=%3.>>testing.out
> echo file4=%4.>>testing.out
> echo file5=%5.>>testing.out
> echo file6=%6.>>testing.out
> echo file7=%7.>>testing.out
> pause
>
> The file testing.out would be created in the System or System32 directory.
> On my Win2K system, the output indicates that all selected files are sent to
> a single instance of the batch file.  I'm looking forward to trying this on
> my Win98 & WinNT partitions at home....  I've tried something like this on
> NT before and got multiple instances, IIRC.

I'll be very interested in seeing the results.

> Also, since it came up in this discussion, I'd like to mention that I tried
> Karel Sprenger's method for installing GnuServe & GnuClient, but I was not
> able to get it to work.

That is interesting.

Best Regards
John McCabe <address@hidden>