RE: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...

From: John McCabe
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:41:31 +0100

I know - I know - I know! I am aware of all of this, but that's not the
issue - the issue was that on 2 machines (one Win2k, one Win95), when I
"sendto" runemacs with multiple files selected, *one* instance of Emacs is
created with all the files loaded, whereas on another machine (Win98), each
file is loaded into a separate instance!

So it's not a file associations issue, it probably isn't even an Emacs
issue (per se, although when I sendto Microsoft Word only 1 instance is
created), but you seem to have joined the discussion as it has veered off
on becoming gnuclient/gnuserv discussion!

> Here's the bottom line John
>
> 1. If you want to launch a NEW instance of emacs every time, use
>    runemacs.exe.
>
> 2. If you want to use an existing, already running instance of emacs,
>    use gnuclientw.exe / gnuserv
>
> That's it. If you don't, for whatever reason, want to load, use, even
> look at gnuclientw / gnuserv, then you will have to launch a new
> instance of emacs. Period!
>
> It is NOT an association issue. It is an issue of what program you
> call to get the file sent to emacs from within the send to folder. If
> you insist on calling runemacs, then a new instance (with all of the
> associated load times, memory usage, and resource drains) will be
> launched.
>
>  - Chris
>

> John McCabe writes:
> >> To open files in a running instance of emacs, you definitely need
> >> gnuserv/gnuclient as runemacs is intended (or so I believe) to just start
> >> emacs.
> >
> >That's brilliant, but this is *not* what I want!!!!
> >

> >>  If you follow the instructions I mailed earlier you will be one
> >> happy user.
> >
> >I doubt it, because the system will be doing even more things I don't want
> >it ti!
> >
> >> Under Windows98 and the like, it might be worthwile to have a
> >> peek in the registry after setting up the file associations.  I noticed
> >> that setting file associations through Explorer's Options will force a %1
> >> without quotes on the command line entered.  With regedit you can change
> >> that to the format I mailed, and you should be OK.  As I don't have a
> >> Windows98 machine around anymore I can't check this, so comments are
> >> appreciated.
> >
> >I don't think it's a file associations issue because, as far as I know,
> >that's not how the SendTo menu works.
> >
> >As I said earlier, I don't want to appear unappreciative, but anything
> >connected with Gnuserv/Gnuclient is totally irrelelevant to the issue I'm
> >trying to sort out because:
> >
> >1) I don't have it installed
> >2) I don't want to install it (especially now I've seen messages on the
> >newsgroup from people having problems using Emacs 21.2 *with* it
> >installed)! Best Regards John McCabe

Best Regards
John McCabe