RE: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...

From: Sprenger, Karel
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Help: NT Emacs and the SendTo menu behaviour...
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:51:06 +0200

Hi,

The trick is to use gnuserv/gnuclient.  See
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq3.html#assoc for further details.
The link to http://www.wyrdrune.com/index.html?gnuserv.html~main is not very
useful for Windows users.  So after installing gnuserv.el in your
emacs/site-lisp directory and the exe's in emacs/bin (assuming that is in your
path), you add the followinbg to your .emacs file:

;;; start gnuserv
(setenv "GNUSERV_SHOW_EMACS" "1")         ; force gnuserv to show emacs
window, always
(if (or (eq window-system 'x)
        (eq window-system 'win32)
        (eq window-system 'w32))
    (progn
      (gnuserv-start)
      (message "gnuserv started.")))

Then place a shortcut in your sendto folder with "C:\emacs\bin\gnuclientw.exe
-q -F" as the target on which to drop the file you want to pass to emacs.  Even
handier IMHO is to associate .txt files and the like with
'C:\emacs\bin\gnuclientw.exe -q -F "%1"' (note the double quotes surrounding
%1: these serve to protect long file names with embedded blanks from being
passed as multiple arguments).  Under NT and W2K this can be done in a command
box by (re)defining associations as follows:

   ftype elfile=C:\emacs\bin\gnuclientw.exe -q -F "%1"
   assoc .el=elfile

>From then on, double clicking an .el file in an Explorer window will pass the
>file into emacs.

Cheers,