[h-e-w] outline mode and speedbar

From: Richard Y. Kim
Subject: [h-e-w] outline mode and speedbar
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 11:48:04 -0800

    EG> Hi,
    EG>
    EG> is there a possibility to see the topics of a file
    EG> in outline mode in speedbar? In the buffer frame of
    EG> the file I can invoke the imenu menu with C-mouse3.

I don't understand the question.

    EG> On a similar topic: if I invoke speedbar while
    EG> visiting the info buffer (C-h i) I get the error
    EG> message
    EG>
    EG> DFRAME TIMER ERROR: (void-variable speedbar-attached-frame)
    EG>
    EG> and the info tree is not displayed in speedbar, just
    EG> the top line 'Info Nodes:'.
    EG>
    EG> I am using nt-emacs 21.2 and speedbar 0.14beta4 on Windows NT4.

I see the same problem in w2k and GNU/Linux.
This seems to be caused by not loading sb-info.el file.
Try using these two lines in your ~/.emacs file:

  (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/cedet/speedbar/"))
  (eval-after-load "info" '(require 'sb-info))

This should get you going.  A different error message is
still printed, but it does not seem to affect speedbar
operation.  I will track that down and submit a patch to
the author of speedbar.

Note that using autoload will not work for GNU Emacs 20.X
and 21.X, i.e.,

  (autoload 'Info-speedbar-buttons "sb-info"
            "Info specific speedbar button generator.")

will not work, because Info-speedbar-buttons is defined in
info.el file that comes with emacs and it is redefined in
sb-info.el that comes with 0.14 version of speedbar.

Use of eval-after-load to setup sb-info is suggested in the
INSTALL file that comes with speedbar.