Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.2, CVS switches...

From: Bill Pringlemeir
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.2, CVS switches...
Date: 05 Apr 2002 20:32:19 -0500

Bill Pringlemeir <address@hidden> writes:

| I liked the `vc-directory' function in 21.2, it displays
| sub-directories on the same screen.  I don't recall 20.xx doing this.
| However, it lists files as modified when they aren't.  These files
| didn't show up with 20.7 (at least to my memory).

| Running "v =" on the file and ediff-revision says that the files are
| the same.  All of the three time-date stamps look sane and my local
| file is read-only.

 Dan> I had the same issue when I upgraded from 20.7 to 21.1, but I
 Dan> haven't had time to explore it in depth.

I found out that the current ediff-directories seems to pay attention
to the end-of-line for that file.  I was doing a diff of two versions
of BSD ppp-2.1.2 and every file was different.  From the directory
listing.  However, when I visited them, the ediff control frame showed
zero diffs.  Ie, "= h" did not hide these files.  At first I thought
that the attributes might be responsible as the files look identical
unless you do a find-file-literally.

I would suspect that a similar thing might be happening with the
`ediff-revisions' and 'vc-directory' commands.  This is probably a
particularly common thing for Gnu NTEmacs. Could someone who
understands Elisp better do a compare of the ediff package and see it
treats line endings differently?  I tried this on my machine, but I
started to get lost as the ediff package is also running binaries
(diff, cmp, etc) and I don't understand processes in Elisp all that
well.

hth,
Bill Pringlemeir.