[h-e-w] Fixedsys and BDF fonts in Emacs 21.1/21.2

From: Dr.Yishai Feldman
Subject: [h-e-w] Fixedsys and BDF fonts in Emacs 21.1/21.2
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:35:26 +0200 (IST)

I apologize for the MIME-garbled form of my previous message.  Here it
is again, using a different mailer, and hopefully in plain text:

Following my problems with the fixedsys font in Emacs 21.1 (and 21.2),
I have come to suspect that my problem with fixedsys may be due to the
fact that I seem to have this font with Hebrew script, which is why
the font designator
("-raster-Fixedsys-normal-r-normal-normal-12-90-96-96-c-*-iso8859-8")
ends with 8 rather than 1.  In fact, when I use list-charset-chars I
do see some of the characters in the fixedsys fonts, but not the
normal ASCII characters.  Is there a workaround for this problem?

I have also tried various BDF fonts according to the instructions in
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq5.html#bdf-fonts.  This
works very well in Emacs 20.7, but in 21.1 and 21.2 I don't see the
characters; the interpretation of the font seems to be that all
character bits are zero.  (I still see parentheses matching
indications in a different colors, but no characters.)  Does anybody
have a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
         Yishai