Re: [h-e-w] Side-by-side file differences util?

From: Bill Pringlemeir
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Side-by-side file differences util?
Date: 21 Mar 2002 18:41:52 -0500

 Richard> M-x ediff-buffers Top/bottom rather than side by side, but
 Richard> for all I know that's configurable...

It is indeed.  I have a Mingw version of diff and diff3 that work with
ediff to make really nice diffs.  I also use CVS/RCS so you can run
"ediff-revisions".  The "ediff-directories" is really powerful as you
can quickly find differences between projects.

In regards to Emacs 21.2.1, I have found that the separate ediff
window messes up the under-lying main Emacs window.  It looks like
this is some sort of display bug.  Quickly hitting space to jump
between several files and the main emacs window gets a `residual'
ghost image of the smaller ediff window.  Is this problem known?

I also noted that the ediff `=h' command works differently with
21.2.1.  I believe that files with identical content but with
differing attributes are not hidden.  Ie, one is read-only the other
is read-write.  I will have to see if something has changed in the
ediff package, but I haven't had time to look into this.

Anyways, ediff is way cool!  It is worth the effort to get it working
as it can save you days of work.

Regards,
Bill Pringlemeir.